Finding Solutions To Complex Issues

Is it possible to have a divorce decree changed after the fact?

On Behalf of | May 21, 2023 | Divorce |

A decree is a legally binding decision entered into the record by a judge or court. In divorce, the judge issues a decree containing case information, including its decisions regarding the various elements of divorce (property, spousal support, etc.).

You may understand that you can have the child-related portions of your divorce judgment modified. However, that’s not the only reason a Minnesota family court might agree to reopen a divorce case. 

Documentation errors

A clerical error or typo may not seem critical enough to reopen a divorce, but some mistakes can impact how the judge’s orders are carried out. For example, an incorrect date could end your child support or alimony earlier than anticipated. A nefarious ex might exploit an error to minimize their financial obligations.

As a legal document defining the terms of your divorce, it is vital your decree contains only factual and correct information.

Misconduct or fraud

Say you find out your ex hid substantial sums in several offshore bank accounts during the months leading up to your divorce. Since the court did not know about any offshore money, it could not correctly value marital assets, meaning you probably received less than your fair share of marital property.

Courts rarely amend property settlements. However, when fraud or misrepresentation is a factor, they may agree to investigate further.

Prevention is key

As mentioned above, most divorce decrees never need a change or amendment. You can prevent problems with yours by paying attention to the small details in all case-related documentation. Someone knowledgeable about the nuances of getting a divorce in Minnesota can offer additional guidance.