Finding Solutions To Complex Issues

What happens if I don’t pay child support in Minnesota?

On Behalf of | May 4, 2016 | Child Support |

The obligation to contribute financially to a child’s well-being is one that every Minnesota parent must take seriously. When this obligation is formalized through child support orders, it is crucial to stay in compliance and make payments in full and on time. Failure to do this can result in numerous penalties.

According to state laws, delinquent parents can face the following penalties for non-compliance with orders for child support:

  • Withholding of wages
  • Suspension of a driver’s license
  • Motor vehicle title liens
  • Hunting and/or fishing license suspension
  • Suspension of professional licenses
  • Seizure of assets
  • Interception of tax refunds
  • Denial of passport
  • Jail time
  • Public notification of a person’s name and delinquency

Depending on the type of consequence or consequences handed down, your life can be significantly affected by the penalties of not paying child support. If you lose a license, you might lose your job or struggle enormously to get around. Financial penalties can lead to considerable economic strain; public identification as a delinquent parent can damage your reputation; being sent to jail can be incredibly frightening and stain your criminal record.

Despite these serious penalties, there are still parents across the state who fall behind on payments or simply refuse to comply with court orders. People think it’s not a big deal or assume no one will notice.

However, you cannot outrun your child support obligations, and they won’t just go away if you ignore them. You will have to deal with them one way or another. There are legal avenues that parents can pursue when it comes to unpaid child support, but waiting too long to do so will only make matters worse.

If you can’t make payments or if circumstances have changed in a way that impacts child support, then it will be crucial to discuss the situation and your options with an attorney as soon as possible.