Finding Solutions To Complex Issues

Does a job justify a child support modification?

On Behalf of | Jun 6, 2016 | Child Support |

It can, but not just because you changed jobs. A new job alone is insufficient to support the modification of a support order. Support orders are only modified based upon a handful of situations. The new job must fit within one of those situations to justify granting it. This post will go over how your job change could justify new support orders.

In order for a job to justify modifying child support orders it must result in significant change in income. If you can show that your income is greatly reduced at your new job, you might be able to get your obligations reduced.

But don?t think that you are home free. The court will also examine why you got a new job and what happened to your old job. If the court believes that you got this new job solely to avoid your child support obligation, then it may not modify the order. This could leave you in the position of owing more than you can pay.

Moreover, it is critical that you get the petition filed as quickly as possible. Modifications are not retroactive. Any money that you owed under the previous orders does not change. If you wait too long, you could be stuck with the old orders for months before the modification is set. If your income is greatly reduced, that could significantly impact your financial viability.

If you are trying to modify child support orders, you should probably speak with an attorney. You cannot agree with the other parent to reduce child support orders, like you might with spousal support. The court retains ultimate authority over the well-being of children, including their support. Think of child support as between you and your children, not between you and your ex-partner. An attorney can help you prepare the petition so you stand the best chance of getting the orders modified.