Finding Solutions To Complex Issues

Establishing paternity for unwed fathers in Minnesota

On Behalf of | Jun 14, 2017 | Fathers' Rights |

If you live in Minnesota and believe you fathered a child with a woman who is not your legal wife, you have very few rights with regard to that child. There are, however, actions you may take to pursue legal rights. At Huson Law Firm, PLLC, we have a comprehensive understanding of the methods you may use to establish paternity in the state, and we have helped many unwed fathers gain rights to their biological children.

The Minnesota Judicial Branch offers an overview of the actions you may be able to take to establish paternity as an unwed father. Arguably the easiest method for you to do so involves having you and the child’s mother sign what is known as a “Recognition of Parentage,” which is essentially a legal confirmation from the both of you that you fathered the child in question. A notary public must be present for the document signing, and you must then file the form with the Minnesota Department of Health.

If there is disagreement as to whether you did, in fact, father the child, you may be able to establish legal paternity via a court order.  To do so, you must file papers with the district court within the district where the child in question currently resides. In the event that the child in question receives public assistance, the district attorney may be the one to file papers.

Because you and your child’s mother are unwed, she retains sole custody and decision-making authority over the child until you are able to establish paternity. More information about how to do so is available on our website.