Finding Solutions To Complex Issues

How do you get a driver’s license back from child support courts?

On Behalf of | Jul 25, 2018 | Child Support |

If you were to receive a notice that the court was suspending your license due to an arrearage on your child support payments, then your first reaction might be panic. However, the situation might not be as dire as it seems at first. Minnesota law could provide a way to delay or prevent the suspension of your license and the placement of a lien on the equity you hold in your vehicle. 

The first thing you should note is that this is not a primary penalty for child support non-payment in the state. The court would only take action towards your driving privileges if you owed more than three times the amount of your monthly support payment. The best solution to this problem, if at all possible, would probably for you to prevent the amount you owe from rising above this threshold. 

If you could not manage to keep your account paid off enough to prevent court action, then you could potentially react and save your license. As outlined on the Department of Human Services website, you would have 30 days to contest a suspension of your driver’s license brought on by an arrearage in your account. If you did not act within 30 days, you could attempt one of the following within 90 days of the date on your suspension notice:

  • Pay the total child support amount you owe, if possible
  • Notify the court of an acceptable extenuating circumstance
  • Sign a payment plan contract and follow through on the terms

If, in the end, the court suspended your license, you could have a chance to obtain a limited-duration replacement. However, your eligibility would depend on your own situation as well as the actions of other parties in your dispute. Please do not think of this article as legal advice. It is intended to inform only.