Finding Solutions To Complex Issues

What can I do to enforce the parenting time order?

On Behalf of | Mar 4, 2024 | Child Custody, Family Law |

Life after divorce can be more challenging because it often involves various adjustments, helping the family transition to the new setup. Making these changes can take a lot of effort, especially if you have legal obligations imposed by the court, such as a parenting time order. Depending on the family’s circumstances, you or your former spouse may have problems complying with the arrangement.

Making one or two missteps can be easy to ignore, primarily if you and your former spouse can find ways around it and maintain compliance. However, some violations can become habitual, leading to a repetitive pattern of going against the parenting order. In this scenario, it could be wise to enforce the order.

Getting assistance to enforce a parenting order

When issues are getting in the way of compliance, you or your former spouse can go to court and seek assistance with enforcing the order. They can use different methods, such as involving the authorities. The court’s approach can vary, typically based on the violation and the situation.

Sometimes, enforcing a parenting time order is the only option when the other party or the child refuses to follow its conditions. Regardless of what the parties want, this order often remains effective until the child becomes 18 years old.

Addressing issues related to the parenting time order

In some instances, the family can have valid reasons for failing to meet the terms in the order. If that is the case, it can be possible to modify the order instead, considering the child’s needs and the entire family. Seeking legal counsel can also be helpful when addressing these parenting time issues. Doing so can help develop an impartial approach that prioritizes the child’s best interests.