Finding Solutions To Complex Issues

Out-Of-State Moves

Protecting A Child’s Best Interests

Prior to 2006, Minnesota allowed a custodial parent to move out of state with the child unless the noncustodial parent made a successful objection in court. The law has since changed and now requires the custodial parent to either secure the permission of the noncustodial parent or convince a court that moving out of state during or after the divorce is in the best interests of the child. At the Huson Law Firm, PLLC, our divorce law practice has always been on the frontlines of Minnesota’s family law. Our work focuses on protecting the rights of dads and moms during extremely difficult circumstances. We carefully monitor changes and proposed changes to the laws affecting our clients. This vigilance makes a difference in our practice and in the lives of our clients and their children.

Getting The Law To Work For Parents And Children

In 2006, when the law changed, our divorce law attorneys put its changes into practice and have been able to leverage its provisions to ensure that our clients’ rights are protected and their children’s lives remain stable and secure.

The new law asks Minnesota’s courts to consider factors such as:

  • The nature, quality, extent of involvement and duration of the child’s relationships with both parents, siblings and other significant people in the child’s life
  • The age and developmental needs of the child and the likely impact of the relocation
  • The feasibility of preserving the relationship with the nonrelocating parent
  • The child’s preference, taking into account age and maturity level
  • Whether the parent seeking relocation has a pattern of attempting to thwart the relationship between the child and the nonrelocating parent
  • Whether the relocation could improve the quality of life of the relocating parent and the child
  • The reasons offered for seeking or opposing relocation
  • The effect on the safety and welfare of the child

Our attorneys have proven experience making arguments about whether a custodial parent can move out of state during or after the divorce. Our goal is to advance the best interests of the child — a fact that has made our work appreciated by clients and persuasive in courtrooms.

Our St. Paul Attorneys Are Ready To Discuss How An Out-Of-State Move May Affect Your Children

Call the Huson Law Firm, PLLC, at 651-968-0822 or contact us online. Our attorneys in the Minneapolis metropolitan area have a track record of advancing our clients’ rights, pursuing the best interests of their children and building trusting and worthwhile working relationships. We offer free initial consultations and look forward to finding out how we may help you.