Safeguarding Your Financial Well-Being
Untangling the financial ties that have held a married couple together can be a complicated, tedious and lengthy process. At the Huson Law Firm, PLLC, our family law team knows that determining the appropriate and fair amount of support payments can make a significant difference in a client’s life. The experience of our alimony lawyers includes a thorough understanding of the factors a court weighs and also a familiar knowledge of the specific realities of determining spousal support in Minneapolis, St. Paul and Ramsey County.
Determining Spousal Support
Minnesota courts weigh a number of factors when determining appropriate spousal support amounts during a divorce. Because many of these factors require some subjective appraisal and are also life realities that are subject to change, an initial determination can be altered by a post-divorce modification. Some of the factors are:
- The financial resources of the party seeking maintenance
- Whether any children are involved
- The time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to enable the party who is seeking maintenance to find appropriate employment
- The standard of living established during the marriage
- The expenses of both parties
- The duration of the marriage
- The loss of earnings and other employment opportunities forgone by the spouse seeking maintenance
- The age, physical and emotional condition of the spouse seeking maintenance
- The ability of the obligated spouse to support him or herself while making support payments
The attorneys at our family law office can explain how these factors may apply to your particular circumstances.
We Help Our Clients With Their Financial Futures In The Twin Cities
The Huson Law Firm, PLLC, believes in responsible, fair and realistic determinations of spousal support. For years, our St. Paul alimony attorneys have helped hundreds of clients in the Minneapolis metropolitan area meet the needs of their families. They’re available to discuss your family law matter. Call 651-968-0822 or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation.